Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Final Response to Food Rules and Michael Pollan

When first assigned this project I never would have thought that I'd be reading a book tackling the issue on America's health problems deriving directly from what we eat. I knew that obesity in America was an issue and I'd seen films such as "Super Size Me", but I wasn't fully aware of the problem and where the issues start until my mom told me about Michael Pollan and his books The Omnivores Dilemma and Food Rules. Americans need to be smart with how they eat and need to demand better quality food from producers. The way we prepare and consume food in America is unhealthy. There is a reason why our neighbors in Europe are so much healthier than us and its because of what they eat, how often they eat, and how they prepare their meals. Be conscious of what you are putting into your body, read labels/understand that much of what we eat can't really be considered "food" if you can't even pronounce the ingredients on the label. We need to eat in moderation and demand that the government crack down on the way our food is produced on farms, and how we take care of the animals which provide us with our every day meals. If you get the chance take a look at Michael Pollan's work and consider all he has to say. I really enjoyed reading the book and found it very informative and interesting. Change isn't far, but the American people need to ignite the flame that pushes the American food revolution.

1 comment:

  1. After reading this post, I realized that I agreed with everything you said. Nice. I think that the issue of food is one that should be very important to people, but it is one that goes unnoticed. People assume that their food is reliable and they are blind to the reality that their food, at most times, is not. In accordance to your last statement, I agree that people need to open their eyes and do something about the food crisis in America.

    ReplyDelete